How to deploy New Computers: Best practices?
I'm in the process of migrating from DS 6.9 to 7.1 (SP2). Working in a school, we get in around 175 computers each summer. In 6.9 I would simply create a "New Computer" and could knock out a lab in about 5 seconds. I'd drop the image job onto these computers and whenever my tech in the field got them plugged in, he'd boot and be prompted to associate the machine with a name. It worked fantastic.
How do I do this in 7.1?
- I've seen the Predefined computer area, but that requires a MAC address. This is cumbersome to say the least.
- I've read about Initial Deployment, but this seems less than ideal for a few reasons.
I read in the 7.1 SP2 Beta notes this:
Predefined Computer Changes
- Right-click, New Computer in the console
- Import and use all data within pre-defined computer spreadsheet
- Choice of ID for Keys
- Support DS 6.9 “Virtual Computers”
However, as I'm running 7.1 SP2, it seems this did not make the cut. Maybe I'm just not sure how to do it though. Any assistance is appreciated.